Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Going it alone...



Matthew and I had our last breakfast together in Green River Utah. After packing up our bikes he was heading east and I was heading west. In typical Matthew fashion he suggested I ride off into the sunrise. The last image I saw of him was the dwindling reflection in my mirror....

I have to admit the thought of heading to the cooler north was quite tempting. Unfortunately I had one more stop in Moab, that I REALLY wanted to do so further south it was.... having zipped through town checking hotels and camping I headed south to the southern end of Canyonland National Park and the Needles region. Fantastic scenery, took a TON of photos. One of my plans didn't work out for the afternoon(more on that tomorrow), so I headed to Arches National Park around 6pm, two hours or so before sunset. Rode through the park taking lots of photos, then got to the end just as the sun was setting, and changing all the colors, so raced back through the park re-taking pictures everywhere. Unbelievable difference!!!

I might start a huge debate here, but I found the National Parks in Moab far more stunning than the Grand Canyon. Partly because you can ride along the edge of it for 25 miles or so, with pullouts every hundred yards. (and yes I did stop at just about every one of them!) The terrain is phenomenal, and the ever changing topography is amazing...

Not a fun night, camping in the heat, lying on my thermarest sweating until about 2am when it finally cooled down :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment